The school is located in downtown Heber City, UT. There is plenty of parking on the street or behind the school for students and patrons alike. There is a reception area at the entrance of the facility, a clinic floor that consists of 12 stations, 5 nail stations, 3 pedicure stations, 4 shampoo bowls, 3 dryers, 4 facial beds, and 2 restrooms. There are 2 restrooms, 4 classrooms, break area, and administrative offices up stairs.
Grading scale: 100%-90%=A, 89%-80%=B, 79%-75%=C, 74% and lower is not passing and will need evaluation to continue.
Grading will be based on theory testing and practical testing. Clinic work completed goes towards services completed and not generally weighted into the overall GPA.
In order to graduate from the Bonnie Joseph Academy of Cosmetology and Barbering and receive a diploma, the student must complete contracted hours (See course description for specific hours), complete all clinical requirements, complete theory tests and practical assessments with a passing grade (75% or higher), and have arrangements made to pay tuition and fees in full. The student will be given a graduation survey and an exit interview, and the school will help the student prepare and register for the State Board tests.
Although the school cannot guarantee employment, we assist all students who seek help in finding job placement. Through class instruction students will learn about professionalism, résumé development, interview preparation, and job search skills. In addition, we take students on field trips to area salons so that they can network and we also bring in salon owners and they can tell students what they look for in their employees.
Official Withdrawal Policy
Students who are withdrawing from the School, need to sign a contract termination agreement. Official withdrawal will be the date of the signed termination contract. They will be charged a $150.00 termination fee; they will also be charged any outstanding charges and fees they have accrued. We will follow the refund policies stated on the contract and in the catalog page 6.
Here at Bonnie Joseph Academy Academy of Cosmetology and Barbering, we believe the key to a successful career in cosmetology is hard work, dedication and a good sense of responsibility and organization. That's why we strive to teach our students how important it is to obey the rules of the work place, respect the code of conduct and the dress code that applies in a specific location. Please read the following Academy Rules, Code of Conduct and Dress Code.
- School begins at 9:00am and ends at 6:00pm Tuesday – Saturday, with an hour lunch break. Saturdays will be a 4 hour block for part-time. Students should arrive on time for their session.
- Students are to adhere to the dress code and code of conduct.
- Student kits are to be paid in full before the first day of school. Students may purchase their own tools separately, but must have all tools they need to perform all tasks.
- Leave of Absence will be granted for a minimum of 2 weeks to a maximum of 180 days. A pre-approved contract addendum must be signed prior to leave, at which time the contract end date will be extended based on the length of the leave. Student kits will remain with the school during a leave of absence.
- Each student shall be allowed one Contract Addendum per program without a charge; all other contract addendums shall incur a fee of 100.00 each.
- It is mandatory to call in if you will be absent for any reason. If a Student does not call in or return from being sent home for a violation, it is considered a no show and will be charged a fee of $56.00 for a full day, $28.00 for up to 4 hours. After 3 no show/violations in a 30 day period, a student may be placed on warning/probation and scholarship/financial aid may be in jeopardy. (See Code of Conduct/Dress Code)
- Additional tuition will be charged if you go over your expected graduation date at the rate of $10.00 per hour needed.
- Stealing from the school or any other student is prohibited and punishable by law. If a student is caught stealing they will be suspended from our school.
- Hours and transcripts will not be released to take the state board exam for licensing until all tuition is paid in full and all graduation requirements are made.
- Students will not be working on clients without an instructor available to assist and teach, students cannot refuse any assigned service.
- Grading Scale: 100%-90% = A, 89%-80% = B, 79%-75% = C, 74% and lower is not passing. All students will have the opportunity to retake any test up to three times and pick their highest score. Grades will be available for the student to access regularly.
- Students are responsible for using their time wisely, and getting their assignments signed off and graded. “Return and Report”: If it is not recorded, it never happened!
- Bonnie Joseph Academy reserves the right to amend all rules, or add to, at any time to keep in compliance with the current accreditation standards and will notify students of the needed changes. Students will be held to the new standards after they are published.
- If the School changes owners or management all contracts will still be in full force and effective.
- All formal written communications/documents will be kept in the student’s file in a locked cabinet. Students may request permission to view their personal files, but only with an administrator present.
- Personal Student services must be pre-paid and pre-approved by the floor instructor before the service is performed. The service may be bumped at anytime to accommodate clients. Clients always come first!
- Approximate times for course completion are as follows:
Code of Conduct
- Instructors may start the week/class with a positive thought, word of prayer, or time for meditation if they desire.
- Follow the Non-Discrimination Policy on not discriminating on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, or ethnic origin.
- Respect everyone’s right to personal belief.
- Arrive at school ready for the day: i.e. hair done and make-up applied with all tools and books (services done at the school must be preapproved and prepaid if needed)
- Treat all clients with kindness and respect at all times.
- We expect clean language. No using profanity or swearing.
- Treat all fellow students with respect at all times.
- Strive not to gossip, or do or say things that may cause offense to another individual.
- Show loyalty to the school and staff. Any complaints need to be handled through the proper line of authority with a written grievance form, not by slander against the school, staff or students.
- Students need to spend school time on course related activities. Personal electronic devices need to be used for school related purposes only, any other use may result in that item being confiscated until the end of the day, or the student will be clocked out until ready to leave.
If any of the above codes are violated, that person may be subject to disciplinary actions.
Dress Code: Dress for Success!!!!
- Dress professionally (TEAM SPIRIT!)
- Students wear Bonnie Joseph Tee except on teacher approved optional day.
- No open toe shoes
- Wear shoes that are comfortable and have good support
- No pants or skirts that sit too low on the hips
- No bare bellies, backs, or shoulders
- No low neck lines (no visible cleavage)
- No skirts above your knees without leggings - no form fitting pants without a mid-thigh length skirt/shirt. Colored skinny jeans are okay.
- No blue jeans (except on approved days with school tee)
- No pants that have holes in them or are excessively worn
- No Printed T shirts except school issued
- No body piercing (ears are ok)
- No visible tattoos, please cover them while serving our clients
- No Sweats or shorts
If you are in violation of the dress code, Instructors or staff members may clock you out to go home and change. Any student not returning is subject to a no show fee.
1. An applicant not accepted for enrollment will be entitled to a refund of all monies, except for the non-refundable application fee of $100.00.
2. If a student, or his/her parent or guardian (of a student under the age of 18) cancels his/her enrollment and demands his/her money back in writing within three business days of signing the enrollment contract, all monies collected by the school will be refunded, except for the non-refundable application fee of $100.00. The cancellation date will be determined by the postmark on the written notification or the date said information is delivered to the School Director/Owner in person regardless of whether or not the student has actually started training.
3. If a student cancels his/her enrollment after the three business days of signing the enrollment contract, but prior to entering classes, he/she shall be entitled to a refund of all monies paid to the school for tuition, books and kits(if not received), less the Registration fee.
4. For students that enroll and begin classes, the following schedule of funds is authorized if student has paid tuition in full or the amount due from student balance is figured as:
Percentage of Course Completed
.01% - 4.9%
Amount School Retains
Amount School Refunds
Enrollment time is defined as the time elapsed between the actual starting date and the date of the student’s last day of physical attendance in the school. Any money due shall be refunded within 45 days of formal cancellation by the student or formal termination of the school, which shall occur no more than 30 days from the last day of physical attendance, or in case of a leave of absence, the earlier of the date that the student informs the school that he or she will not be returning, or the documented date of return
5. The extra cost of items to the student, such as instructional supplies or equipment, services charged, books and kits are non-refundable.
6. All refunds will be made within 45 days. All money owed from the student is due within 45 days unless other arrangements/payments plans have been made.
7. For students receiving Title IV funds, (Financial Aid), the following applies: 1) If a refund is owed and the student received any financial aid that was applied to the payment of tuition and fees, the refund due will first be paid to the financial aid programs, then, if applicable, to the student. Federal Regulations require that any refund due be first allocated to the Title IV Programs. 2) The Federal share is calculated according to federal requirements and policies which could result in the student owing the school money. (Policies are available in the Financial Aid Office.) 3. Federal regulations are subject to change. Federal regulations in effect at the time of the refund shall govern.
8. In case of illness or disabling accident, death in the immediate family, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student, the school will make a settlement, which is reasonable and fair to both.
9. The school’s collection procedures shall reflect good taste, sound and ethical business practices. The NACCAS name will not be used in collection efforts.
10. Students who terminate will be charged a $150.00 termination fee.
11. If the school closes permanently and ceases to offer instruction after students have enrolled, or if a course is canceled after students have enrolled and instruction has begun the student shall be entitled to a Pro rated refund of tuition.
12. If a course is canceled subsequent to a student’s enrollment, the school shall at its option
Provide a full refund of all money paid.
Provide for completion of the course.
13. Students who withdraw or are terminated will lose scholarship monies and discounts, refunds will be calculated on the full tuition rate.
Bonnie Joseph Academy of Cosmetology and Barbering requires the prospective students to provide:
- High school diploma/GED; or
- State issued credential for secondary school completion if home schooled**; or
- Satisfactorily complete 225 clock hours in a program of 600 hrs or more; or
- Has a training agreement with outside entity, meeting their admissions requirements*.
- Provide a form of government issued ID (i.e., driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, etc.)
- Submit $100.00 application fee
* Students currently attending High School may provide a transcript indicating student is excelling with a C+ average: HS students are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid
** Students receiving Federal Financial Aid must present #1 or 2 and 5 and 6
In order to transfer into the academy, prospective students must meet admission requirements; pass a written and practical test; and provide proof of hours received from previous institution. At that time, Bonnie Joseph Academy will determine how many hours, if any, will be accepted.
For students who graduate from any program at Bonnie Joseph Academy and enroll in any other program within 1 year of graduation, all policies and procedures from previous enrollment are valid for the new program. (Students will receive any policies that have been revised since their last enrollment, if applicable) Credit hours will be offered to student for up to 3 years for a new program. After 3 years, they will have to test for level of credit.
If a student wants to transfer out of the Academy, tuition must be paid in full to receive any kind of transcript information. If the student was awarded a scholarship, this will be forfeited.
A student who re-enters after termination or withdrawal retains his or her attendance and academic history from their previous enrollment. A student making satisfactory progress at the time of withdrawal or termination may apply for re-entry. A student not making satisfactory progress at the time of re-entry and will not be eligible for financial aid upon re-entry until he or she meets the minimum satisfactory progress levels at a required evaluation point.
Students who are members of US Armed Forces and called into active duty may reenter at the same level they left without any penalty.
Bonnie Joseph Academy of Cosmetology and Barbering does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, national origin, age, color, ethnicity, political or religious preference, nor will we allow our students to do so.